David’s chief area of focus is elder law – in particular, helping clients plan for long-term care issues, assisting with the Medicaid process, creating, and administering trusts and estates, and general estate planning. David also provides skilled special needs planning, helping families care for their loved ones by establishing guardianships, trusts, and other legal mechanisms to assure their stable future.
Having been on both sides of the table, David understands the anxieties and obstacles his clients often face. Working together with his clients, he can help protect a child with special needs or ensure that a spouse or parent obtains the dignified long-term care they need. A shareholder and director at Hickman & Lowder, David lives in Mentor, Ohio, with his wife and two sons. He enjoys dining out and listening to the music of the Avett Brothers.
- Elder Law
- Special Needs Estate Planning
- General Estate Planning
- Trust and Estate Administration
- Capital University Law School, J.D.
- cum laude
- Ohio University, B.A.
- cum laude
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA)
- Special Needs Alliance
- Ohio State Bar Association
- United Cerebral Palsy of Greater Cleveland: Board Member
- Board of the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) Geauga: President
- Lawyers are Useful Resource Following a Death – Cleveland Jewish News (Nov 17, 2020)
- Planning for Disabled Dependents Key in Estate Plan – Cleveland Jewish News (Sept 21, 2020)
- Top Columbus Area Attorneys Discuss The Impact Technology In 2020 – Advisor TV (Aug 4, 2020)
- Special Needs Trust Administration Income Eligibility Issues For Beneficiaries and The Secure Act – Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Journal (July 10, 2020)
- Selected as an “Ohio Super Lawyers – Rising Star” by Ohio Super Lawyers Magazine (2019-2021)
- WKYC Channel 3 It’s About You – Monthly Guest Speaker